Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
evilgrins

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by evilgrins »

So far both look great.
· You shrunk the Skaarj on Falls Valley, which is interesting but not seeing any issues so far.
· Aztec seems okay so far, though that teleport area... I went through it in spectator mode and got teleported to a different part of the map.

Still checking them out.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Those Skaarjs in updated and crap-free versions of packages can be badly annoyed and will start hunting until enemy base - that is the nice challenge. The more closer they are to Bot collision, the better they navigate - including in tunnels.
Other things changed:
- self skinning team based;
- spam logs and Accessed Nones removed;
- SetEnemy + Atttitude are changed working everywhere;
- recovering initial health set after respawn and not adjusting it in second respawn;
- using Projectiles killing another Skaarj;
- solved mutator for its initial purpose because it was useless and having class-name the same like in other cases duplicating class-name;
- Respawning comes with respawn sound as it should - code tempted doing it but that's not the "How to" - blind copy paste doesn't means coding in any way. All that sound which even Teleporter is doing, points at Level.Game not NavigationPoint;
- removed stupid config declaration as long as there is no config file declared anywhere.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:22 amusing Projectiles killing another Skaarj
Uhm, I specifically set them up so the Skaarj can kill each other. Granted, on a map that large it's unlikely they'll ever cross paths but it's necessary they can kill each other, otherwise they mindlessly shoot at each other and nothing happens.

Some maps, including one you edited previously, I put Skaarj in that can't kill each other with shots but can with claws... but that's different.

Altered projectiles negate their immunity to shots from each other. They're really only immune to Skaarj blasts.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

New package uses DAmmo2 by default except when map has customs - this projectile has no damaging restrictions affecting ALL Pawn - Big ones included.

If the smart making initial package was rushing for no reason and not knowing anything about Skaarj Projectiles that's not my problem. I don't keep trash packages like that in my repositories. These are compatible with any previous edited maps...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Okay.

Do you want me to send the next set (2 maps, same theme but slight differences) or hold off until tomorrow?
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Maps which I'm using are already shared, monsters are coming from OTHER PACKAGES. I'm afraid that these shares will have the same faith as BPak. Each admin will use his own version because not everyone will load borked things in their games. If you want other maps with paths adjusted/fixed let me look what is about.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

2 versions of the CTF-TwinValley maps, with ut2k4 cannons and UTDM monsters.

Overall assessment requested, some specifics though.

Defense point on Blue Team need work on 1 point, like in the screenshot 1 of the defense points is behind a rock which isn't very useful as the boy can't see anyone when they run by.

TwinValley - would like you to setup Titan pathing in the area they titans are, just a good patrol of the area.

TwinValley2 - would like Skaarj pathing within the base, nice thing about on their own the Skaarj don't have the insane levels of health the Titans/Warlords do and are usually killed before they wander too far... but still.

No pathing for the Warlords, leave them be.
Attachments
TwinValley CTF maps.zip
(5.18 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
Shot0145.png
Shot0145.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2712 times
Shot0139.png
Shot0139.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 2712 times
Shot0055.png
Shot0055.png (966.09 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I see...
They will need a lot of cleanup as longs have entirely useless nodes - more over 3000 reachSpecs and some of those AlternatePaths actors are not having any purpose where they are. With or without them the route is the same as long as there is no other shorter way - there is nothing as alternate route, that one being default route. AlternatePaths are used for deviating from shortest route else they make no sense ! It's pathed for the sake of pathing not a logic paths network.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Can't speak to the pathing, per se, but there's more than 1 route between bases. Further into the base into the wall, there's an undeground passage that leads up to a bridge and then into another underground passage, and then into the other team's base.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Nah, don't get me wrong - the shortest route is UNIQUE, the rest are longer, it's very hard to have more than one smallest routes. Shortest length is original chosen out of AlternatePaths. On this route Altenatepaths are like NONE. Caves need to have a few options, road is in serpentine but not the mid-way, that one needs a bit of love around those rocks for deviating common road from time to time - there is suitable TouchNode...
Anyway Titans are patrolling, might be possible to quit patrolling after a heavy battle if they were charging at enemy in smaller spots where reachSpecs are claiming small paths. Not often but... might occur as long as geometry is a bit complex for a Titan.

Let me know if here I missed something:
CTF-UTDMT-Cannons-TwinValley_rS1944.7z
(554.14 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Now I'll look over next one.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -