Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

Here is something simplified and connected...
CTF-UTDMT-BaileyCastle_rS2795.7z
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Mention:
For some reason my UTDMT package containing Titan works normally in any UT version.
Techs:
Someone from Epic has decided to assign at ScriptedPawn a variable called Team - generally we talk about an INT variable supposed to deal with Pawn in Team-Games but the rest of "Team" specific techs were really dumb. Rocks/Boulders won't kill another Titan disregarding Teams, SkaarjProjectile won't kill a Skaarj also ignoring "Team" - it's a full scale goofing in everything...
Next genius defined another "Team" variable as a Byte variable private for this Pawn - this seems to do a variables soup in 469 patches that logs a "type mismatch".
These are two different vars but using the same name "Team" which in 469 patches looks combined and I don't get the point of this doing. These were not exactly duplicated because their TYPE is different and this should be in account not just mixing them based on a stupid name.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:04 pmRocks/Boulders won't kill another Titan
What's more annoying is I can remove the throwing of boulders but I can't assign it a different projectile, one that can hurt another Titan when hit by it.

Or maybe I can?

Been awhile since I tried.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

evilgrins wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:02 am What's more annoying is I can remove the throwing of boulders but I can't assign it a different projectile, one that can hurt another Titan when hit by it.

Or maybe I can?

Been awhile since I tried.
Do you know what's the problem ?
Every single time when you hit a glass with hammer and it breaks, you should not try another 20 times this action in hoping that glass will go suddenly bullet-proof itself from some mystical source.
If these boulders are clearly not damaging any TITAN as they are hard-coded like that, you can throw 12947238 boulders at a Titan and it won't lose any single health point.
Probably some day (or night) you'll understand that more software from years 2000 is pretty much clumsy and stupid in big parts - with honorable exceptions.
This is why I dropped old file and I won't use it at all. I did not do the best ever Pawn because I'm not an IT expert, but It's not like I will exchange what I have with "original" sh!t. At least my coded sh!t smells much better that what was done. There it was all about strings and stories which Titan is delegated to have and the rest of logic is out of the window. My UTDMT has a simple and pathetic rule: it won't suffer from its own rocks but any other creature will support consequences. Mismatch ? Yes, but there is no other way, conforming files doesn't work here, I have new classes and new stuff.
The other way ? Yeah, taking what Buggie was writing (for mitigating his (recommended) 469 effects) in whatever actor hosted in map and taking wheels when Engine version is over 451. Once again editing a map sometimes it's not that simple as it looks like.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Back on topic, I suppose I should've expected newer pathing to enable wayward bots to get back in the play area around the sides might also have the opposite effect.
Now bots directly run out of the main player area, around the sides, and straight to the Titans.

It's not all bad. Provided they get past the Titans they either get back up on the bridges with the Impact Hammer or Transloc and now they do handle the bridge around back easily.

It makes play more interesting, and they still can get the flag... though it gives whatever team real players are on a distinct advantage as they focus on the more direct approach while bots go around the long way.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Mainly Toggling paths in CTF is aiming maps with closer distances and multiple ways without sight between each-other. In open areas this is not very helpful. If they go another way, are still visible and killable. Creating full links is helping only if they are thrown by a blast somewhere far and not dying - that is useful for bringing them back into game or else they will wander in the wild for hours.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Remember this?
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=14405

No UTDM-monsters, both as I wasn't intending any and all given the glitches in the new patch that would be pointless.

Going to consider this a beta after you assess and path it, given it's still very much pathed for deathmatch and not CTF.

I reset all the PlayerStarts for teams, pretty sure I got them all. Finished up team colors for each base.

Current flag position is where I proposed, will see how it works after pathing.

Have fun!
Attachments
CTF-TimeRip.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

It will be fun after some clarifications:
- rooms with TranslatorEvents to me are useless, I did not see any Translator in CTF to do something useful. CTF is a dynamic game not a library environment for reading stories.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Translators can go, don't need them.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

It will be an abandoned area because wasting time to roam over there make no sense in dynamic gaming. CTF it's in opposite direction with SP.
Resuming... here might be needed a good optimization for covering map normally but inside 1000 nodes. There are a plenty of spots that won't head anywhere and these will need valid connections...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Given, after taking a more thorough look of the map, there are time portals all over the place, most every part of the map leads to the other team's side.

Only really dead places that goes nowhere are the monster dance bars... but those are kind of fun.
Skaarj need love too!