Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

This version has paths reduced in number but no extra restrictions. Let me know if it needs whatever "barriers". Here are used HomeBases, I don't know which versions of Monsters are suitable. Me one I don't really need them too lazy else they have no purpose.
CTF-UTDMS-Invasion_rS1579.7z
(875.57 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

On a number of occasions you've pathed edits so the UTDM-monsters would try and take the flag, and I've always tried to steer you away from that... until now.

On TwinValley you did it with the UTDMS, but I balked at that.

On that map that was Stargate themed you did it with the UTDMW, but given the limited weapons on that map I didn't think that was fair.

However, this time I'd like you to try and set that up with the UTDMT. Actually make it so they try and take the flag and bring it back to their base to score. Took some doing to find a map with enough room to do this, and if it works I've got another for you to try it with the UTDMW. I figure, ideally, the Titans would have to work their way to the other side by being on opposite ends, both going to their right and walking the length... ideally they'd never be on the same side of the map at the same time.

Why is this better for that?

Nice open area so plenty of opportunities to gun down the Titans, bases are protected by snot-gun-cannons so unless a Titan has a lot of health still it had a 50/50 chance of getting the flag. I suspect occasionally they will successfully get the flag and get it back to their base, but not always. The amou nt of health they have makes it possble but not guaranteed.

If you need to move some trees that's okay, but try not to delete any.

Also, pathing for bots is a must as whoever made this map clearly didn't like bots. There were no armor, health, weapons, or much of anything when I got it.

Have fun!
Attachments
CTF-UTDMT-Cannons-ESF-River.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
Shot0051.png
Shot0051.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2864 times
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Yep, I'll look at this... In other hand.... for previous map... if a bot goes crazy trying to enter the boat using entrance from the back and cannot get into boat, (that's one of those XC fake "News" with paths) you can use another one where I deleted said "path" to the boat but letting Pawn to move out if wants to.
CTF-UTDMS-Invasion_rS1578.7z
(874.65 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
This means that reachSpec from PathNode236 to PathNode121 has been destroyed for good, leaving only reachSpec from PathNode121 to PathNode236. This escaped from my eye and Arachne was showing me what was happening...

All right, back to next. Where Titan can go, definitely Bot should go too as long as a reachSpec claiming a giant pawn won't deny a small one - this in UE1 might be indeed damaging but... it depends on how small is the Pawn. As a tech Note... if a Path is Biiiig - very usable by Titans and nodes placed higher, a small pupae won't reach properly at node messing up around. For a common path such node must be lowered as much as possible but... this is another subject. Anyway... if map supports a 227 "editing trip" I can setup Paths for Normal Titans not only shrink-ed ones. Original UE1 default reachSpec is usually 70×70 except teleporter of course, but this doesn't means that Engine cannot handle bigger values - it is demonstrated already...
evilgrins wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:42 am Also, pathing for bots is a must as whoever made this map clearly didn't like bots. There were no armor, health, weapons, or much of anything when I got it.
I know one sharing around 41+ maps and you don't want to find out what those junks are. Zones are plain insanity (I don't think he knows what Unreal Zones are), pathing as well - but the boy perhaps is very proud about his shares...

Good... now let me look at this thing, I'm curious what's about first.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:41 pmI know one sharing around 41+ maps and you don't want to find out what those junks are.
Oh, I dunno. Might be fun trying to fix them.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I don't know if it worth wasting time... right now I'm thinking to add something in PathsLinker but devs are not showing what I need: cylinder data.
I can write something for enlarging paths between two selected nodes but here it comes a very careful work in Editor as long as if a single route is forgot smaller pawn won't blink and it's a bit difficult to find bugged spot. Either way Pawn hunting far from normal route might be closer to "thin paths" and won't resume attack. Here I think shrinking Titan's DrawScale for getting itself into 70×70 it's more suitable than messing with hidden data and guessing. At this moment I can see certain parameters in run-time but there aren't images and hunting buggers Point by Point takes a lot of time.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I figure to a degree the Titans would be more... accurate.

Skaarj & Warlords you setup for taking the flag primarily didn't face the direction they were headed, sometimes they came at the process moving backwards. But Titans don't move that fast, could be a thing having to do with speed. Titans may be able to stay facing the direction they're walking.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Nah, I did not accept taking damage without to respond at enemies and just dying... that's my setup. It's why they were moving facing enemy and not other way. If they decided charging at enemy that is whatever combat code coming from ScriptedPawn. Admins can check these maps. If they don't like creatures they can adjust Scriptedpawn how they want in conformed files for their servers, stock it's not a must be after all.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Here is the file:
CTF-UTDMT-Cannons-ESF-River_rS832.7z
(280.11 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Notes:
- Titans are rescaled for navigating normally or else I would need to edit all reachSpecs involved - for preventing them to lose their "mission";
- I don't know if Titans are having more changes for scoring in this open area, unless it's about 4 novice Bots or some retarded ones;
- In my environment Big Monsters - including Titans - are taking damage from all sort of projectiles - definitely they won't deal too much with those cannons.
I tried map with Switching Bases over time - Titans are having around ZERO chances for capturing if are playing with 8-10 Adept Bots. That 50-50 when they are hurt by cannons is a myth. Real Chances for any capture are ZERO for Titans... they are not good runners so I think I won't count on them.
I think I can capture a small video for showing that enemy Bots are a bigger threat than these big dumb "warriors"...

Map does errors in original CTFGame because of BotPack and assets which are NOT for CTF.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Looking good, think I'm gonna try testing it without the cannons to see if it gives the Titans a better shot... but there is 1 thing bugging me.

I get there's really no way to prevent Titans from engaging each other, but it does seem a little weird that there first moves out of the gate is to try to get to the other side of the map by passing that pond in the middle on the same side.

Why wouldn't they try to pass it on opposite sides?

That does happen a few times later, but always the first time they always try to get by on the same side.

My initial thought was they'd more or less hug the rivers on both sides to get to the flags, not go up the middle where they're more likely to fight each other.

Still, this makes for a better defense of both sides.
Attachments
Shot0013.png
Shot0013.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2798 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Imagine other stage, each Titan moving another way with Flags unable to help flag recovery or stopping enemy. Huh ?

Yesterday I wrote something for Monster A.I. regarding to CTF stage, but I think I need to complete code. It was about Heading Monster-Player (any) to a flag lost in recovery purpose and/or simple taking flags more seriously. Works so far but... still seldom... either way, after spawn I did not see too much activity and then... I need to drop some logs for figuring if I accomplished conditions because here CTF Bot code must be translated at Monster and using a "push-code" solution which needs extra checks... and extra tweaking (Monster quits patrolling if there are more than 30 Paths to target and then it needs an internal "reset" for keeping it active).
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -