Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

evilgrins wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:22 am Occasionally bots fall down there, so pathing enough so they can get back into the game.
Ouch, okay, then adding paths in all navigable areas is mandatory.
And... I think they will need to be more motivated by weapons when a flag carrier is about to run away with Flag. They need to quickly pick up some stuff for shooting at enemy carrier. Great, I'll add some extra paths and reducing a few in main level where Flags are located. This looks suitable even for M.G.S. server...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Time Up.
This version is covered with paths at all map's levels... Check well if it needs a rebuild or not (I had to do some stunts for UGold...)
CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.7z
(285.41 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
I adjusted/removed certain paths and adding others for preventing funky reactions around teleporters. I edited actors from SkyBox for Network gaming, but... First I need to solve a few problems because M.G.S. won't have these, seriously...

Code: Select all

ScriptLog: UTDM.UTDMWarLord:Killed : I (Lord Blue) killed Raynor //Spam spam
ScriptLog: UTDM.UTDMWarLord:Killed : I (Lord Red) killed Raynor
ScriptLog: UTDM.UTDMWarLord:Killed : I (Lord Blue) killed Liche
ScriptWarning: UTDMMutator CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMMutator0 (Function UTDM.UTDMMutator.PreventDeath:0027) Accessed None //I'm not hosting these
ScriptWarning: UTDMWarLord CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMWarLord0 (Function UTDM.UTDMWarLord.Died:0042) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: UTDMWarLord CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMWarLord0 (Function UTDM.UTDMWarLord.Died:004A) Accessed None
ScriptLog: UTDM.UTDMWarLord:Died : I (Lord Red) was killed by 
ScriptWarning: UTDMMutator CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMMutator0 (Function UTDM.UTDMMutator.PreventDeath:001F) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: UTDMMutator CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMMutator0 (Function UTDM.UTDMMutator.PreventDeath:0027) Accessed None
ScriptWarning: UTDMWarLord CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMWarLord1 (Function UTDM.UTDMWarLord.GameEnded.BeginState:0058) GotoState (EndDancing Begin): State not found
ScriptWarning: UTDMWarLord CTF-UTDMW-RainbowWIP_rS508.UTDMWarLord0 (Function UTDM.UTDMWarLord.GameEnded.BeginState:0058) GotoState (EndDancing Begin): State not found
Yeah, Go To State... I don't have it. Anything else called and not implemented ?

Doing checks over codes... Lol Copy-Paste...

var() config string DefaultName;
var() config bool bRespawn;
var() config float RespawnDelay;
And the question is: Where did config disappeared ? Where exactly is being hosted the configuration ? Ahah, it will definitely have a configuration...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

As is this plays basically okay, could be better but it's tolerable, but bots never go to the sniper positions in the towers.

Teleports up to those are inside the bases.
Attachments
CTF-UTDMT-Tundra-WIP.zip
(941.12 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Shot0152.png
Shot0152.png (874.25 KiB) Viewed 66599 times
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

They not only won't move in sniping spots but map has a plain charge of 4104 reachspecs which I don't use in years 2020+.
Bot Pathing here is easy to do, we do have all required devs for making in more efficient and simple without overcrowding paths network.
And then... defensepoints have hilarious plain rotations, Bot doesn't need to defend walls looking at mountains, lol.
Allow me to deploy some love in here...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I think it's almost done.
I'm having access to defending spots, out of defending spots... but I'm curious if my recommendations for Redeemer are in account, I've done some heavy deal for Bots with combos in towers, right now map is simplified at 966 reachSpecs and has AlternatePaths. I only want to see if they can manage to reach at Redeemers... If not... then it will be needed some extra boosting.

Edit: Boosting perhaps is the safe method for making Bot to perform a double Translocation if wants a redeemer in certain situation.
The rest is a problem which ALL these UTDMx maps are having, it's about camping and blocking Bots as long as ScriptedPawn is a lazy ass sitting in place all day long. When has no enemies and map has no AlternatePaths it has more chances to block Bots from Own Team because in this case all Bot is following the same shortest road to the target. In consequence, for mitigating these stupid A.I. actions, I delegated Titans to patrol in a second edit version. Whenever they finish the deal with an enemy will resume patrolling around Flag - perhaps in other maps where geometry is permitting they will hunt Flags too - I have some idea about this, lol.
The good thing here is that I did not need super duper tweaks in UGold, I left alone paths created by XC builder - original DevPath in Editor is only overloading reachSpecs for no reason.
Current stage:
Testing BOTH edits, with and without patrolling.
Animated image below shows what is about Titans and Patrols:
CTF_Tundra_Patrol.gif
CTF_Tundra_Patrol.gif (10.56 MiB) Viewed 66573 times
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Here are two samples that can be adjusted if they have to. One is simple the other has Patrolling Titans...
CTF-UTDMT-Tundra-WIP_rS994_ptrl.7z
(305.64 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
CTF-UTDMT-Tundra-WIP_rS966.7z
(304.93 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Do they need more paths ? Let me know...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 pmperhaps in other maps where geometry is permitting they will hunt Flags too - I have some idea about this
I haven't mentioned this before but I've been experimenting with the draw scale on the UTDM maps, and while it doesn't seem to impact the Titans... when a Warlord is shrunk it starts to follow the bot-pathing available on maps. Which is kinda cool... although also unlike the Titans, a shrunk Warlord will eventually go back to its normal size after it respawns a few times.

Getting flags is tricky with them. One of many reasons I'd like to find GorGor or whoever made the Warlord (suspect it wasn't him) would be too see if that person made other versions. Queen, for example. Or SkaarjBerserker... as it's the largest Skaarj but small enough to enter most bases and possibly take the flag.

Had some hopes with the Sentry.u but it can't be team assigned, it's basically just a decoration that does seek and destroy.

I'll test these out and get back to you.

Anyway, try this... 2 "bases" massive pit in-between them with narrow paths on both sides. Problem, bots keep falling into the pit and bots never score.

Falling into the pit doesn't always cause death, so I placed an old friend down there to handle that.
Attachments
CTF-Cyberus-YigguddehWIP.zip
(34.42 MiB) Downloaded 396 times
Shot0232.png
Shot0232.png (604.39 KiB) Viewed 66551 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

First a Note about previous UTDMT map(/s). Due to SkyBox placement maps has HOMS around ledges seen in SkyBox area at bottom side. I see this usually with SkyBoxes or here is needed some other trick. Ledges probably need to be masked (mountains, buildings, rocks, etc) otherwise they do HOMS if viewer is closer to ledges nearby FakeBackDrop texture. I experimented MovableSkyZone using the sample from UT99.org. It looks better but still make HOMS at bottom and this invisible surface is happening in sample map too - that is a sort of island - effect is reduced there but it's still crapped. This is an UE1 rendering problem and then... can only be reduced but not entirely stopped. I saw these is my maps and first time I though that I failed something but... others have this issue too and here is a bit disturbing...

Then UTDMT and Flags
Can you see animated GIF with Patrolling Titan ? Titans reduced properly can even HUNT/ROAM in map, at least UTDMTs which I'm using have NO ISSUES. They can move around paths being properly set - they were even fighting each-other roaming in map for enemy. I repeat, I do have an idea how to make them to move at their Bases after fight because might have changes to touch enemy Flag out of will or RECOVER Flag out of will (happened here). Making them to move at certain point is already doable at ScriptedPawn that's not a big deal, maybe is needed some assistance for Flag or... nothing special, but doing tests. When you will understand DevPath you'll be capable to have more ideas about setting up bad-ass Titans. So far they are "Animals" which is not really helping in navigation due to hardcoded limitations from ScriptedPawn - but they are supporting to be adjusted and they are setting up collisions ONCE in PrebeginPlay sitting like that ALL Game.

/* FindBestPathToward() assumes the desired destination is not directly reachable, 
given the creature's intelligence, it tries to set Destination to the location of the 
best waypoint, and returns true if successful
*/
function bool FindBestPathToward(actor desired)
{
	local Actor path;
	local bool success;

if ( specialGoal != None)
		desired = specialGoal;
	path = None;
	if (Intelligence <= BRAINS_Reptile)
		path = FindPathToward(desired, true); //Indeed this is a bit stupid - limited
	else 
		path = FindPathToward(desired); 

success = (path != None);	
	if (success)
	{
		MoveTarget = path; 
		Destination = path.Location;
	}	
	return success;
}
It's needed DevPath knowledge, Intelligent creatures and nothing else...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Okay, I studied what is about here
evilgrins wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 pm Anyway, try this... 2 "bases" massive pit in-between them with narrow paths on both sides. Problem, bots keep falling into the pit and bots never score.
For me it's clear - it's a n00b mess desperate to have enough paths and he/she felt in the opposite direction, bringing evidences about what I was explaining before about paths, more paths in a single spot are DAMAGING not helpful at all. Look at this miserable stuff:
StupidJumpyShortCuts.PNG
StupidJumpyShortCuts.PNG (779.23 KiB) Viewed 66545 times
Here I would like to see things normal before to start a Bot-Test because to me these are a nonsense. Yellow Specs are jumpy routes causing Shorter paths over the hole, I'm not sure if they can manage to jump here in all game settings (turbo, hardcore, classic, custom).
Allow me to destroy all Nodes and reconstruct everything because this is TRASH.
EDIT:
2393 reachSpecs have been deleted and created 174 reachSpecs. Let me see how many map-makers are capable to figure differences, lol:
NoMoreOverCharge.PNG
NoMoreOverCharge.PNG (843.24 KiB) Viewed 66544 times
Map has now zones, removed Useless Pathnodes, politely adjusted InventorySpots before final paths build and putting them back in their spot. All is XC without anything done manually, Piece of cake.
CTF-Cyberus-YigguddehWIP_rS174.7z
(234.23 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Note: For a normal CTF lower area could be a killer zone, plain matches and servers don't use Monsters - here we can discuss about... keeping them with any matter or doing some domestic tweak.

_______
Another Version perhaps it's OK for M.G.S out of unkillable pawns, but definitely some lava looking more closer to reality might be more welcomed...
CTF-Yigguddeh.gif
CTF-Yigguddeh.gif (2.33 MiB) Viewed 66534 times
Here also are adjusted PlayerStarts for preventing a rocked fired by spawned player to perform self damage.
Code for dynamic lava has been adjusted a bit for preventing server to run animations for nobody. All animations are client task...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Cool.

As to the Titans, pathing them is impressive... and if they should happen to move somewhere while fighting that's outside of that pathing I don't imagine that's a huge problem. Because after being killed, the Titan will respawn back into the area where it's pathing was.

I would assume that, anyway.
Skaarj need love too!