Ns_SpawnPoint2 aka Nelsona's SpawnPoint

Mod development and tools for UE1 game titles here.
Nelsona

Ns_SpawnPoint2 aka Nelsona's SpawnPoint

Post by Nelsona »

Some original idea was developed in BT gaming supposed to help player to spawn in a previously saved spot in order to prevent doing the same stunts again and again. Idea was to do something like that in MH and Kelly was interested about a simple way of doing. Visual part is developed by Kelly, I used that for not doing other new one.
So far I went to write my own things since original BT mutator is not that healthy in what it does - a double PostBeginPlay call which is already called by Engine itself and blabbering with Timer is not what I want in MH gaming ground. I can say that I'm currently testing this thing in my MH playground and there are some BAD occurrences coming from this idea. Let me quote:
- if player has loaded some FlashLight for a dark zone and is dying there will spawn in the dark feeling frustrated;
- if player has a good weapon unlocked from somewhere it will spawn around his death's location with no stuff when Bot or other player was stealing weapon dropped;
- in several "special" bad spots player has to suicide withing 5 seconds for being re-spawned normally else it will spawn in the same bad spot.

Features like loading player with all stuff definitely turns MH into a sort of no skill thing because map having such hot points will have less logic making dumb player to insult mapper as long as game is not like supposed with original logic: "I have to kill 4 minibosses for getting that flashlight". If player is loaded with FlashLight by default, killing those minibosses is no longer a goal making map to look dumb.

After testing it (for completely preventing telefrag kills) - I think is good for whoever wants it. For me I'm not convinced that this is 100% needed in MH - but it is depending on maps used - in some of them it is indeed helpful.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

Re: Ns_SpawnPoint aka Nelsona's SpawnPoint

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

So this Ns_SpawnPoint would be similar to Kelly's BRespawn for a MH map that has no further spawn points than first start of map.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Does almost the same thing but using state code and a recycling checker.
Checker spawns and track player each 10 seconds. If cannot do location update it will increase checking cycles at 1 second in order to find a good spot. If update is being done it will go back at 10 seconds.
Dying instances
A repeated death until 5 seconds will automatically disable it. Let's say if it's used in CTF games it won't update nothing if player is a flag carrier. Actually code will try to prevent spawning with telefrag - this is default check. In small spots from MH maps I was kileld by Bot respawning there. Player will never respawn at a distance smaller than 700 UU from a monster.

Mutator is loaded simple without trying to chain others. It is not a mutator that requires a high priority, it can be the last one in chain.

EDIT:Here it is what I've done so far...
Ns_SpawnPoint.zip
(104.34 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
that's all.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
imyourmomma_{HoF}

Post by imyourmomma_{HoF} »

I really like this one. Played a few maps yesterday to play around with what happens when you suicide or die in different circumstances. And I watched the bots die and saw how it worked also. Felt a bit strange since I'm used to getting killed and respawning at start. And sometimes you lose all the weapons you get on some maps at start. Since you only get the weapon that you had when you died. So I guess it makes it so you try harder not to die. Or if just bad luck and a titan rock gets you, that's how it goes. But yeah I like this one. :)
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Mutator works. My problem about it is the Idea. I'll describe you a common scenario which happens often to me.
BirdBrainedResearch - any zone can be... less welcomed for respawning. Why ? Explanations:
- All weapons are nearby start;
- After harder getting BerserkStinger you don't have it (Bot steal it instantly) and... way back to the base is not really always available and neither short.
These are samples of game-play instances where this "helper" actually doesn't help me. For such and similar reasons this is not the best ever idea. Mapper doesn't need to load stupidly 2000 weapons making a mess. We have mutators but we can get rid of them if are not suitable. Original was designed for BT which by default has ONE weapon so re-spawning anywhere was not an issue at all. In MH is another story, unless this toy shoulf not only save location, but inventory as well and the charge too - just a new load.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

For MH I would recommend recovery of inventory be included for this particular mutator I think.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Ahem... perhaps will not be or it will be a problem iterating too much in ModifyPlayer - or I just have to cap it at saving 8 weapons/items from which player is holding in order to reload player with them after respawn... Not the last is permanent checking player's stuff in order to maintain the track of items hold.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

I agree that there should be limited weapons/items saved if client respawns.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Bump note:
Because I could still figure telefragging at random and some bad occurrence (spawning unwanted in the same spot for both Player and Bot) I went to check codes and I found a glitch in function "NearbyPlayer" my bad there so I fixed it. Version 2 will use also a count. If checkpoint it's in the same spot and player/bot dies during 6 seconds will not spawn there over and over in some infinite loop, after 5 times will spawn in original location if checkpoint did not move, perhaps a checker for bGravityZone it's also recommended. Once tests finished I'll post the updated version.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I love you Nels, you always do the thing I was trying to do but you do it better every single time. I wish I had your technical ability.
I don’t wanna give the end away
but we’re gonna die one day