ut99.org's next mapping contest...

Show us and share your created maps.
evilgrins

ut99.org's next mapping contest...

Post by evilgrins »

...is here!
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13573

Running from September 22nd to November 22nd, any theme and any gametype.

WE GOT NEW MAPS COMING!

Unrelated screenshot:
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Re: ut99.org's next mapping contest...

Post by Nelsona »

Any news here ? Except default paths overload style and default doors mapped as lifts or with spots without paths ?

I don't even understand why everyone is waiting for that UT469 when no one gets tired with using what it's already well done, such as XC_EditorAdds. I see very well productions that have mountains of remnants of the map construction process, but nobody cares.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:55 pmAny news here? Except default paths overload style and default doors mapped as lifts or with spots without paths?
Good or bad, everyone gets excited when new things come to the games they enjoy.
Nelsona wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:55 pmI don't even understand why everyone is waiting for that UT469...
I'm a little fuzzy about that too.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

evilgrins wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:34 am Good or bad, everyone gets excited when new things come to the games they enjoy.
Of course I'll have a joy too, because in one of them I destroyed 3013 ReachSpecs and covered maps with only 651 ReachSpecs. I'll see which one of them can be also improved... size reduced and smoother processing :tease: for human hunter too...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Probably I can say PASS at this "mapping contest" aka mismatching files contest.
Some maps have multiple files because... I don't get the idea of creating mismatch versions errors. Perhaps here it's about some lack of knowledge about using MyLevel.
Others have pathing borks which I don 't like - we don't pay for PathNodes, dudes - cover all damn areas. Else areas with paths contains over 3000 ReachSpecs...
Other which I though it's great was crashing at some render problems - wet texture whatever.
Other has a recommended Translocator - for no reason - Really ? Default Translocator in default DM is CRAP. Bot is shooting his own translocator - thanks EPIC for your mess :tease: .
If this is UT after 20 years then I will use only maps which I'll do - IF time allows me to do some mapping... :|

In exchange I found one CTF-LightHeaded which is done in 2001 and looks done almost perfect, well designed, well balanced, well pathed.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Well, as you know over in ut99.org there's another fun activity... fixing damaged maps!

There's a bridge style MH map I've got my eye on to makeover into a CTF. It may well have been one originally, I'm not sure but it looks like a CTF map: 2 identical bases, starting room on one side has a stand for where a flag should go, as does the boss room on the other side.

I may check with medor to see if there actually is a CTF version, but if not... the map would need pathing switched from what's good for MH to what's good for CTF... and admittedly I'm thinking of making the final version with either UTDMT or UTDMW or possibly both.

I'll hold off on which map I mean until 2020, but what do you think? Intrigued??
sektor2111 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:06 pmyou (and anyone who thinks that navigation can be broken without a crash) might check CTF-BoomBoomBridge
Oh... you do know the map and there is a CTF version.

Was that map prone to crashing and was it fixable??

Might be better to go with changing the MH version to CTF... as I've never seen any crashing problems with that.
Skaarj need love too!
medor

Post by medor »

Old CTF clan war :D
medor.no_ip.org
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

It's not like that. It was said that missing items cause holes in the navigation network. Completely false. If you have ZERO items but play CTF with InstaGib mutator Bots attack the enemy flag without any problem taking it and then return home with it. If the navigation network is corrupted, Bots doesn't attack even when you have everything on the map. Those stupid-talking geniuses would do well to learn and test more instead of filling forums with purposeless assumptions.
ITEM is generally Inventory and NavigationPoint is ANOTHER thing which is not getting vanished that easy with common plain mutators as InstaGib. I can crash Bot games if I want but... my goal was/is to recover Bot games not crashing them.
NavigationPoint goes as reference (variable/constant) in that ARRAY (NOT INVENTORY) with ReachSpecs (structure) containing the rest of things. How goes processing when a missing point is under engine's discussion ? This reachSpec should head pawn to this... NULL Point = Critical - I CANNOT DRIVE Pawn to nowhere - you have serious mental issues Mister User. And engine says: Good Bye, Moron map-maker, I will destroy myself. That's the crash in human language when things referenced are mindlessly deleted from map for no purpose. Crash occurred when InventorySpot referenced is deleted NOT the Item.

The fixing Research target ?
- Finding a method to recover said reference for preventing the crash;
- Applying something more nasty by nulling out NavigationPointList and making engine to think that there is no navigation network available, and game will keep running with "wandering pawns".
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -