XCGE forum

XC_GameEngine extension for UT99 by Higor.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

XCGE forum

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

Higor has done some great work and I had to dedicate a forum specifically for his custom UT99 game engine. You can find XCGE original topic at UT99.org here

All our {HoF} Unreal Tournament 99 servers use XC_GameEngine.
Nelsona

Re: XCGE forum

Post by Nelsona »

I don't know how many people have used or if they do use this thing, but right now it has version 21 supposed to get over mismatch error troubles. At 3rd attempt Higor did it. While stuff is being downloaded from a XC server (so far tested) it shows even how much content you have to download in order to join, so to speak we have a progress info shown.
The way how do works this engine was at a dream stage in the past.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

This is great news. I will provide new links for this version here asap.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Notes around Uscript side - XC_Engine.u file more exactly.
I believe some people are not fascinated by this toy as long as there are some skin related problems here. This engine is capturing/changing some stuff around player "PostLogin" where is being written some new stuff. I also think that for some reason we really don't need this "PostLogin" - when I've discarded this thing like that "FindInventoryType_Fast" deal, some errors have gone - a timing is less nice here. Probably for expanding usage, I think I'm gonna add some config options - thinking what anything else has to be configurable. Simply admins having issues might disable some of these "ReplaceFunction" types and restoring order in their yard. I have asked for options but they have never came. That ini file should have more options that it has at this moment.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

There is another option, another thing doable using XCGE. This might be aiming a lot of MH maps. I'm speaking about Carcass problem generally. Player is killing a skinned pupae or whatever but result is the same green junk as default pupae, sudden addicted monster modders did not do too many carcasses, because their head is permanently in the clouds. It's not a critical problem, but can be solved for a better looking thing.
If this is welcomed, in mean time I'll write a XC server-actor for this task that can be thrown in any XC Server with at least XCGE v19.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

A few things with XC_Engine.
I can call this Action-Reaction

Some Maps used for years were having issues never seen - these PlayerStart problems. UT uses 16 Starts and map might have 50. If 16 of 50 are OK, default UT won't have problems ever. If we are coming with new things "expanding" spawning options we can fall into a trap. The rest of player starts deal might go buggy causing more issues. XC_Engine didn't take in account these hidden "surprises" so we had to mitigate them later. This mitigation won't have results without logging facts. Server box did not allow too much logging just cutting game at 2:00 AM daily without to know issues.
The task operated in servers - Evil Sniper as main target - was to setup logs and a self restart with SAVING logs. Now logs are available showing which maps were having these "XC traps" toward spawning players. Pick map as described in logs and look at said Actor PlayerStart - see what is there and figure if that is what we call a Spawn Player task.

Another solution for plain UT would be using another DM game version having a deal with original bugs or... new ones.

The rest of things coming from maps are just ... like a rat biting server until is crashing at random. We have to avoid Accessed Nones and actors spawners loading garbage objects. XC has a deal here but... I can expect a surprise here as well... we don't have to count on it in everything.

To not forget that UT has Actors originally coded by Epic which have no Network support or are stupidly bugged and not tested at all before releasing the game - DistanceLightning it's one of such things and... to not forget some projectiles... once again XC won't fix these unless we are deciding to do something going up to changing some stock files with conformed/fixed versions - I was doing these privately and everything works way better.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

March 11 2019 - Note after a short check through logs
Evil Sniper server was working as on purpose all logs (some clock looks changed) are closed at 3:00 AM server time proving that server was working without to crash since March 03 2019 - in account that here more people are playing and server has some amount of stress, this just shows that a part of borks are out we can keep an eye on how does it work.

Last Crash was UT_Stealth problem - Why suddenly this crash ? Because this is not a new problem, in other forums it was under more discussions but here No One could read logs even if server was crashing 3 times per day everything was overwritten the same "Server-Old.Log", file was modified over and over, but if somebody would look at it, not always this file was opened/created at 2:00.

For the record in my n00b admin times I though that I have a solid server (because was alive more days) but in fact gametracker was reporting as the most played map the "ServerResetMap" :tease: . After setting up logs I could see a lot of crashes even multiple times per day. But... before to know them, I was saying that I do not have issues... which was FALSE.
It was a MonsterHunt server crashing daily and all this time I though that I'm OK because I had a programmed restart for entire machine - UT has a memory consuming engine until it reaches to boundary and server is crashing at end. I could see at a moment 6 MB memory free when I was running that MH crap. Then I decided to schedule an entire reboot for cleaning up everything daily at 3:59 AM, and a BIOS ignition at 4:00 AM.
The most of crashes were based on PlayerCanSeeMe, FCollision-ActorLineCheck, Recursive Pawn-AdjustAim, Pawn-Roaming-FindPathToward because some retarded mapper left a map with broken paths and a monster crashed server, and some popcount X whatever bullshit message locking server in some TGES whatever map running in that moment , which has gone when I disabled integrated UT Web-Server, that one for me is a wreck by default right from first day of UT. Right now XC_Engine has another deal with memory management - it's what I see, and even some "news" are showing up from time to time, I'm Pro XC because everything is more stable.

In first step we have to forget ignorance when we do maps and then server might run as a rock - if map has inside tag "!!" just for being in top of voting columns that thing for me is a bad attitude especially toward maps UN-FINISHED and released. A top map should be a top map not a map with "PlayerstartX" out of any zone where player won't spawn being dropped and server without logs for figuring these issues.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

By going over the redirect problems for the case where the server and the redirect are configured properly, we could use version 21.
Subsequent versions do not seem to be too stable - there are facilities in the Editor but some messages with regard to errors cannot be seen. Even the scheduled server reboot mode makes a crash not a correct reboot as I expected. Here are other versions of Windows not WindowsXP.
Test version 24 does not impress me at all, the map cleanup module sometimes causes Editor to crash instantly.

What I want to do now is to split the UT version used for working in 2 or 3 parts: XCv21, XCv23 and/or v24. I will make the paths settings and move the content to another partition on a disk that has more free space.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Bump timer has come. Bad and good but worth a go
XC_Engine version 24 beta3 do seems to have a problem with some new stuff that can be disabled - so it's nothing critical, but this thing which has been rewritten has now a visible extra-power in DevPath, proving that the main part of it can be used.
As a sample and evidence I went to setup paths (other paths) in map MH-LostInTimeV3 known for old issues in big Jurassic area - DevPath going over boundaries and Bots were unable do anything than dumb moves at walls and all that specific mess.
By using new devs for editing paths and for running game I got Bot Support 95% operational which for such a map it's more than enough. Another map patched in run-time with NavAdder do seems to have full BotSupport, Bots triggered all text panels from last room and moving to end properly - did not happen in prior versions.
According to patch rules player has to test last grate and Bots will take care of the rest.

What I have to say not entirely for all admins but for mappers which are intended to test new devs they won't have anything to lose. XC_Engine specific devs for Editor are priceless, more cleaning is doable and cheap tweaks with MapGarbage and... we have good tools for UE1 and UT99.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
medor

Post by medor »

May be you can help me

i use

under windows 10
ucc2
xc_engine v24
startserver.bat

Code: Select all

@echo off
:10
cd System

ucc2 server %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 -log=../Logs/server.log

copy ../Logs/server.log ../Logs/servercrash.log
goto 10

The question is how to have server.log instant txt update during the game ?
medor.no_ip.org