{HoF} Evil's Sniper Deathmatch

Nelsona

Re: {HoF} Evil's Sniper Deathmatch

Post by Nelsona » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 pm

Next chapter: lag producers - people joined with a very high ping, very low score, very... campers, not so much gaming activity. What's up, dudes ? Exhausting net resources for no game ? Worth leaving these "internet connections" to mess around ?
Guys, it's XXI aka 21th century and "high-tech" people are talking about 5G wireless connections and fiber connections and we are still having 457 ms ping ? Are you from another galaxy ? I think on Planet Earth maximum ping value it's around 310-370 ms up to 390, the rest might be "aliens" if we are taking in account technology from now days. Downloading other files while we are lagging servers is not a good practice, you self-claimed geniuses.

I'm asking administration if these "connections" have to be dropped. Does it worth ignoring them ?
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:31 am

That's something worth asking Anth or Dots. It would be nice to be able to hard limit clients so that if they exceed a ping value then they get skipped a few times in the replication tree so it doesn't impact the rest of the people on the server. The coop version that Masterkent made that was on my coop server has this ability. If you lag the server it lets you know and warns you. I never kick for it because coop but it's there to be used if you wanted. Be nice if that was available in the UT engine.
I don’t wanna give the end away
but we’re gonna die one day

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:08 am

I have a toy which I can modify (at UScript Level not concerning replication) and I'm not sure if Nexgen don't have such a feature (or I might be wrong). Player not playing and sitting joined is not helpful at all and has no game at such ping.
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:32 am

Yesterday evening I did a check at EUTSource games - there is a DeathMatchPlus integrated. Since it has an interesting logging system showing various things I was wondering why it's not used as replacement for default DeathMatchPlus. I see it working fine with XC_Engine and browsing perhaps is doable by making a subclass or testing that IpServer.u spoofing game-type for being visible to plain UT player.
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:36 pm

During my outage time
If I'm awake for some reason and I see server heavy populated but 3+ campers doing nothing else than bugging the network, I'll throw them away. You have no excuse for sitting there and doing nothing.
As for player Buby - Telecom has no fault for a weak network and all those things tracking connections. As for "f..k off you all" message, I think I want to love you with some of my bodyparts[x] - I'm kidding, that's the network so far... I understand these frustrations but not the buggers exhausting resources for no purpose. Perhaps it's time for some anti-camper actor dedicated to living-dead players - okay, okay it might have a "white-list"...

For a full fun - Heston said that an UT server it's for fun. Camper will disconnect by himself "speaking" some reason. I listen suggestions toward what message would send bugger player before getting disconnected:
My ideas:
- Okay I'm leaving because my kitchen is burning;
- Cya guys, keyboard it's not comfortable for sleeping on it;
- OMG, my kid it's floating in toilette, I must go, aaahh.
- etc.
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Evil says he doesn't mind clients idling on the server and would not want them kicked. His logic is "maybe client is waiting for vote for mod they want to play" or "the client is there to get maps' or "maybe client needed to use the lavatory". Me I don't care either way. IMHO We just need to keep off cheaters and foul spammers from server.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 pm

Evil is camping... that's why. Whenever server is loaded, ping grows to nasty values - even some players went mad. But... as I said already, mod might have a list - a white-list, yes, a list with "allowed" campers. Else I don't know if such a tool exist or not, I can write such thing starting with byte zero... without to be worried about what others were saying to/about me: You don't know anything !
Me, that one who doesn't know anything, I can write such stuff because coders are too busy now days for sleeping well or to compile mods/tools for some new so called "OS" incompatible with 1000+ systems and doing only damage instead of helping :tease: .
Already players can see what's happening, doing nothing it's not the best measure taken by administration.

As a matter of fact I can quote some of those things solved here so far just to inform players:
- PlayerStarts crashing players placed on void by clowns mappers are properly deactivated - problem solved;
- Stealth causing issues will have a class spoofing Stealth as it was in map - that is not for mapping as an advantage for closer player;
- Server restarts daily for a clean-up and logs are saved and compressed LZMA;
- Whatever update is doable automated by server at reboot without breaking games - to discuss if rebooting has to be done only after ending current map, we have to figure if server won't travel, if this happens no end will occur and then no reboot, as result more logic things have to be implemented here. Cheap solution: leaving things as they are - rebooting hour might be already known so players might predict that.

Edit: Extra mention.
I will set 40 tick-rate for next auto-update. I'm curious if something will be improved or not...
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:48 am

Bump. "Sand-box" update.
Due to these "skilled" players I went to install an external firewall dedicated to the God Of Skillzors. UT is poor at policies being way to limited. From now on they won't even see if server it's On-Line or in outage - or depending on player's browser it will be shown OUT, the toy being out of UT won't have UE1 limitations working in a wider range, and doesn't have a performance impact that can be noticed because I removed default policies allowing only UT needs for preventing other innocent restrictions that might occur.

Have a nice day, sweet people !
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Continuing notes about tiny changes:
I went to reduce player slot because this is DeathMatch not MonsterHunt with 800 Monsters in map, and I increased relevance time. I see that ping has more normal value at this 40 tickrate when server has up to 9 players. Then, when are more players it starts to develop lags. This can be a "Windows" networking problem (might need a reboot) or it's a bandwidth issue - or some evils are doing "commands". It takes time to figure if something else is messing up the network. It would require some tracking solution for figuring what exactly is coming from where.

About demo records in servers.
So far I can confirm that default DeathMatchPlus and recording a session in server does not look useful because demo file do looks borked - tested in my private server and I won't lag Sniper Server for testing and getting what I already know. The only thing operational was an EUT match fired by UnrealTournament.exe not UCC and running demo in the same machine. Such a demo was perfect - on a way it was amazing, I cannot say the same about default DeathMatchPlus from BotPack, neither about a game recorded in external server using UCC - result was an useless demo file.
So far we do not have stuff for such things in this configuration.

I might write/copy something which I have at home for preventing multiple calls to mutate commands and throwing out that one abusing it.

About player camper wanting maps - that's no excuse. EVERY player has logs with redirect - get maps from there and stop lagging game server for no reason, don't make me to blow you away and to setup more records.

Mention:
My "Windoze" type server has no USELESS network protocols installed because these are affecting performance being a source for exploits as well and consuming extra amount of memory. Simple is the best. An UT'99 Game Server won't use printer and file sharing services because nobody is printing anything and sharing happens VIA external applications - this has no use at all.
QoS protocol - cough, does it only increases ping-testing results ? IPV6 - useless for UT server and UT player so far, pointless, consuming extra-driver resources. All these have been disabled (not uninstalled) for benefit of performance. More useless protocols means more network processing...
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Site Admin

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:42 am

Yeah. I have no clue what causes those lags. I know there are some Argentina guys with pings over 350 in the server at times when there is noticeable lags. NFOservers told me in a support ticket that the VDS has 1000mb of bandwidth so I'm starting to question if it could be bad maps or mods hosted there causing poor server performance.