Advanced Spawn ?

Mod development and tools for UE1 game titles here.
Nelsona

Advanced Spawn ?

Post by Nelsona »

The question is asked if a random character for Start - ReStart is required in a DeathMatch. Some players say they are good at fighting because they know where other players come in because they already have ideas about where the Playerstart points are. Let's say we can bring new Start locations to the beginning of a round by adding to the list of navigation points other start points where XC_Engine will work on them taking as a reference points a defined number of PathNodes to create new starts at a some distance from these nodes. Is it worth the extra processing to expand options that are less predictive? Of course, there will be the same problems on the maps that do not have navigation because the authors probably paid for clicks and were limited to doing nothing about this chapter.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
Kelly

Re: Advanced Spawn ?

Post by Kelly »

There's really no good reason that just about any pathnode could double as a playerstart. It wouldn't be hard to script a mutator that does this.
I don’t wanna give the end away
but we’re gonna die one day
Nelsona

Re: Advanced Spawn ?

Post by Nelsona »

When map is not that big and/or poor in Nodes Bot spawning there will telefrag other roaming around and even player - exactly this is what I want to avoid.
Even in last map where I added paths I excepted PlayerStart from being linked with other nodes...
Not the last condition - spot has to be tested because some mappers have "skill" in messing up nodes even leaving them in kill-zones...
The technology is NOT using any ModifyPlayer, but tweaking map with new starts letting XCGE to manage spawning with its own replacements without other tracking.
So to speak we are doing a sort of map-edit before playing.

My problem is making it simple to sort from network a few desired 256 Nodes and then configuring let's say 20 other Starts nearby randomly sorted nodes including testing with a few traces. Code might be a bit heavy at beginning so perhaps is not such a good idea... or I have to switch strategy by using PathNodes but defined in a list and mutator will run all time. Some ModifyPlayer mutators might "forget" to run if mutators list is longer and wrong wrapped... I witnessed such things and I would go for other side: ServerActor.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -