Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
evilgrins

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by evilgrins »

That works, thanks.

Another train map for you to check. No need for fixing, just thought you might like to check it out.
Attachments
CTF-Transit.zip
(746.77 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

They were trying to translocate through trains - lol. Nothing tells at Bot that destination is not available.
Then... deal with Warps when Pawn is is train... Too much imagination. The rest of ground routes are working, I see captures there...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Want to try something interesting?

This is an SP map.... didn't you say something a stretch back about wanting to setup an MH map, more or less, from scratch? Close enough.
Attachments
V3_sTheZoo.zip
(444.44 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Honestly, I'm not feeling like a super duper Dude but I think I can port SP maps to MH better than those "mappers" in 2002-2007, if map doesn't include some action linked with game-type, all being hard-coded and making map to lose whatever things. If it's only a simple Level, conversion to MH should not be that difficult to do - if all assets are supporting a conversion.
Right now I was doing a review to that Noxion but having my paths and not 4500+ reachspecs. Due to geometry and options I sat down thinking about real improvements. Of course I had to adjust some XC paths because were... hilarious... that's another story.

Edit: Lol.. That's a map - TheZoo?
I'm not sure if it's even ready. I'll think about it, so far I don't see anything fascinating me, warps are not working and triggers are... for wasting time figuring which one does what. I don't really feel a 3D shooter here. This map needs The UT Game.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Okay, if the zoo thing isn't working for you, howabout this?

CTF-RexNoctis was made by MetalFist, it has basic pathing but there's some issues there. Not enough to impede play, with at least 10 players, 9 of them bots, it's a challenge enough for me to get to their base, grab the flag, and get back to my own base... but sorta easy as the bots never venture into my own base to go after my flag.

Talked it out with MF but he wasn't up to fixing the pathing flaws on his map:
Metalfist wrote:Sat May 30, 2020 6:40 amYeah Im not going to work on that anymore.
Making bots work properly has always been a nightmare in UED. I wouldn't know how to fix it.
So he gave me persmission to work on it.

Where you see the Titan is the same hall where most players/bots spawn into the map, just past the columns on either side... but from there bots immediately head to the central area to battle it out with the other team. Nowhere during the game do the bots ever go into the area behind where the Titans start, which is where the flag room is. There's apples in there but not setup correctly.

As is, the map is fine for human players and even a team of human players if they've got the HvB mutator (Humans vs Bots) because they never have to worry about the bots trying to take their flag.

Personally, I prefer the challenge of facing a team that can score points against me.

No need to path for Warlords or Titans, as things stand they're fine as they are. Bot-pathing for the flag rooms is essential... but I know you well enough to know that when you see the bot-pathing in the rest of the map you're probably gonna wanna enhance that as it's fairly basic... so feel free.
Attachments
CTF-UTDM-RexNoctisWIP.zip
(5.38 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Shot0068.png
Shot0068.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 6746 times
Shot0072.png
Shot0072.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6746 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Okay... I understand...
Story will be short... It will be short because I would need hours, probably days to figure where paths are having issues. Instead of wasting a lot of time looking at each node, Mr. TrashLord known by his friends (I'm one of them) as MapGarbage will take a look around in... a few seconds ( it takes a little bit of time for me to open map, setup options and hitting Build ).

Nah. I don't even need my analyst friend here, images are talking more than 1000 words... Can you see what is here ? I'm asking because I can see what's the deal.
Lol_Flag.PNG
Lol_Flag.PNG (905.61 KiB) Viewed 6742 times
If I did not do more maps this doesn't mean I cannot see where mappers are having flaws... Of course, nobody is reading a tutorial about Flags - which we have it in forum, because of some unknown reason, here it's a novice mistake, no kidding...

Right now UT469 shows exactly what is about through lines, my Editor (not a 469 one) is capable to see "upstreamPaths[x]" which here are missing. NOTHING is bringing Bots to this FLAG, really nothing... The rest of paths are overcrowded hoping to some Magic which won't come from nowhere, it's all about a design making a mess because... Flag doesn't even need any PathNode around it if has one Single Upstream connected to it from network - it's not the current case...
Neither for the other flag...
Lol_Flag1.PNG
Lol_Flag1.PNG (892.21 KiB) Viewed 6740 times
I think Kaal can fix this map, lol.

Resuming human-eye check
- I did not see AlternatePaths in mid top area - I don't understand why not - perhaps because by default Sir Bot did not see flag and then discarded AlternatePaths having no reasons to go there.
- Pathing is not that basic, is over-charged - as usual for plain DevPath and mapper adding 3 PathNodes in the same spot. Imagine a square room 256 × 256, they need 3-4 PathNodes in such virtual square area for some reasons which are escaping from my understanding.
- In such map probably XC won't mess anything - okay, some paths passing through solid decorations are not that great - here PathsLinker will delete Dev's specific abominations ordered by self person.
- Flags - I think XC can manage such lousy placement but... I prefer to deal in a different way - PrePivoting Flag for being "High" but in reality is "Low" - obviously reachable and a bit of corrections at Height in case of "Jumpers" or "flight units" for not being confused why Flag has a funky touch reaction.
I have to admit that this is nice and easy to solve.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

What I might call BASIC Bot Pathing is this thing:
CTF-UTDM-RexNoctisWIP_rS700.7z
(3.89 MiB) Downloaded 179 times
It has 700 reachSpecs - spread paths, no fancy combos, out of kickers chapter, just playing CTF.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Cool, will check it out.

In other news, be afraid · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14123
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Nah, I have no fear of Berserkers... The "bad" news are that my Berserkers are nice - root class for that thing has another way of action due to my work operated last time...
The fact is... A berserker is a better roamer than a Titan - which is more than good.
If they need Blue Paths that's not a problem, unless they will get stuck in rat holes...
PathsLinker can Edit reachSpecs not only adding or removing them - perhaps future code will have improvements but that's not an emergency...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I'm more worried about how a UTDMS will react to the flag. The other 2 versions pick it up just fine but you can't see it.

I'm wondering if the Team Skaarj will have it on its back like the Skaarj player model does or will it not be visible at all.

Also still trying to figure out how to get it not to pick up weapons, which you cannot see when it does even though it can shoot them.
Skaarj need love too!