Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

Okay (or not), I did a check in last posted CTFM map...
Here is a bit of work, perhaps completely relocating PlayerStart actors - is very miss-balanced, also it has a lot of debris data. Those "hills" are not really pathed normally, probably some of them weren't climbable everywhere. More nodes are just useless to not forget items that are not in map and others not having any route.
Yep... it takes a bit normalization process.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:52 amClearly message shows that a class in missing from your packages
My oldskool is the original, made by Usaar33. It's very basic, mostly only has a U1 weapons mutator and the Sktrooper player model.
Nelsona wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:15 amOkay (or not), I did a check in last posted CTFM map...
Take your time, there's no rush. Soon as you're ready, I'll pass it onto Anubitek to get it a better skybox.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Okay, here are some notes.
Assuming (this is a reality) that UT's Engine in plain format a la GOTY has a primary array of 32 units (I did not study if MultiCTF controller has different rules), we might have 8 × 4 = 32 players (any players). Here we talk about 8 PlayerStart per Team - I added 10 for preserving some spawning spots. 2 of them are moved upper out of paths but allowing spawned A.I. pawn to fall into Paths-Net and being able to roam forward. PlayerStarts are located in their Bases and not like it was - Red Team was using 25 pieces placed all over the place and creating more options for this team. I don't get the point of this "strategy".
Map in subject is this...
CTFM--Wilderness_rS2658.7z
(473.04 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Techs to know about pathing solution:
- using 800 Range for connecting paths limited at 6 Paths/Node and 24 UU crowded spots;
- sitting under 1000 nodes - inside Engine and causing XC builder to create under VALID 3000 ReachSpecs;
- this is a prototype of Paths-Net - it can be done in X formats if we want to deliver X versions and spending Y hours in Editor. For this reason, if something is not okay after examining 100 games, we can do different things. ;
- several items isolated through hills and not doing connections normally were removed because there was no deal with them;
- stupid enforcers placed into void - buried into ground - were deleted as they were utterly useless and there is already enough weaponry in map.
That's all so far...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Overall assessment, with 2 notables:
· Bots seem to have a problem with the lifts.
· Bots getting the other team's flag make no effort to bring it back to their own base.
Attachments
ctf-stfu_n00b][.zip
(6.5 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
Shot0092.png
Shot0092.png (808.01 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I had a previous version of this map which was crapped as well if you wanted to ask me...
Here I see the boy has no clue what a combo needs for setup - Polge perhaps was writing in some alien language his tutorials/explanations (G00gle can Translate so far a lot of languages from Earth - even if it's a bit off-match ).
The other "no return" issue can be seen in less than 2 minutes...
STFU_RTFM.PNG
STFU_RTFM.PNG (368.12 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
No, MapGarbage cannot see this issue because the two nodes at the right on the top of ramps are not having incoming paths from Flag area... There was also stated by Polge in his docs about ramps placement with a NEED to adjust node on Z axis - LOWERING them a bit more exactly.
I did not step inside map but I can see some water routes - there plain Bot might have issues and then... I will need one of my helpers added in a similar map which I need to recall...
The problem concerning lifts in reality is... not a real problem as long as there are ZERO paths concerning those lifts so Bot doesn't even care about them.
The thing which needs a bit of fine tuning is related to those kickers in the corners, closer to those impossible paths through walls :? .
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Hmm... a bit of bump. Mainly map has paths but I think there are spots with geometry issue and there I can expect funky reactions. It will be a pathed version and the rest is... another chapter. It doesn't develop data errors for paths but it can be with issues regarding to movement.
Those gravity tunnels are out of discussion...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

A prototype, I will want to know if something else is needed.
CTF-STFU_n00b_rS2888.7z
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
If Bot has a problem in water, I must write another helper tracker because I couldn't recall where exactly I had a similar thing before.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I'll take a look and get back to you, sad to admit I kinda forgot I submitted this.
Skaarj need love too!
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Hey, long time no nothing.

This map needs some serious pathing, and eventually more weapons; without popping into editor it seems at the moment they're largely only in the far corners of the map.

Have fun!
Attachments
DM-Checkmate_v-=CoN=-.zip
(3.18 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Shot0104.png
Shot0104.png (918.94 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Except some Vials which might be needed for leaving lower area near chess-table, recommend me some weaponry and maybe places for them...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -