Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
evilgrins

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by evilgrins »

While I realize I sent you 2 maps to assess already, and you've assessed only 1 so far... and are still assessing it, I kinda wanna run another 1 by you.

You know who Kaal is, right? Has a bad rep in most forums, I edited like a guhzillion MH maps from 1 of his, but he's a creative lil' monster.

He ripped a map straight out of Unreal1 and set it for ut99 CTF and it's interesting. Looks good and I'm likely gonna edit it down the line at some point, but it's got these 2 weird aspects.

1) It uses an old vehicle which does not look at all right. I reviewed it with bots, haven't tried it myself yet.

2) It overrides the selected number of bots you choose for its own number.

3) It adds its own team-bots into the mix. Map generated bots use the same skins as bots in the game, causing a number of doubles.

I'd like to know how it's overriding the player selection I choose (tried switching it again but it overrode it again) and I'd like to know how it's generating extra team-bots. Mostly that last one as I've seen ZenCoder do something similar and I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.
Attachments
CTF-FIREBASESEX64V1.rar
(11.57 MiB) Downloaded 185 times
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

evilgrins wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 pm You know who Kaal is, right? Has a bad rep in most forums, I edited like a guhzillion MH maps from 1 of his, but he's a creative lil' monster.
I know who is Kaal... and I think I know more others having the same habits and being dumber than sh!t. Amazingly admins were taking measures against Kaal, but others are roaming, stealing and unable to compile a crap which others were doing before but talking about "great modifications" when they actually are not even understanding codes... Okay, let's get back into our business.
I made once a MH demo map showing the power of MonsterWaypoint, map was capable to spawn a Bot doing all the job for human tester which had the only task to draw a conclusion if it worth or not to ruin original MH structure - was a whole speech about changing MonsterHunt, more exactly making MH maps to not be any more MH maps and jerking at people's MH work due to a large amount of "creativity".
Definitely map has something... which is not loved by those whom are not using Bots in their servers/games - we should respect people's desire over here making map more normal as possible and letting admins to decide what they want instead of making a rebel map.
I'll drop an eye over there...

Small conclusions:
Map has a mutator - not sure if it works, capable to add some weapons... I did not see it loading me with anything, I'll check more later. Map also has a "CTFGame" embedded as actor in map - perhaps with other "defaultproperties", probably adding Bots, OR NOT. In my local game, by using my CTF and then original CTF it wasn't adding any Bot, but definitely going at "sudden death overtime" stage screwing game timer.
What is this ? - is the question. Another trash map ? Speaking about Kaal... lol, there are others more evil than Kaal... At least Kaal managed Bot Support somehow...
I'll throw out all trash after finishing what I've started before... we don't add GAMES in maps I did not read such things in any mapping tutorial - it's just stupid.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Back to trains: No train deal here, at least not with these movers recommended by this Engine, but plain CTF should have some action here:
CTF-Erida_rS1155.7z
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 174 times
A few games here did not show more issues - I can expect whatever things due to initial geometry "fixes" - aka BlockPlayer blocking nobody.
Feel free to do whatever re-build if needed - except paths because I adjusted a few things manually as desired almost like original "bOneWayPath" settings...

I'm going at next one.
CTF-DeepFacility doesn't look that bad, perhaps a few AlternatePaths and reducing the reachSpecs charge will have positive effects...

Edit:
Adjusted and useless WarheadAmmo has been removed. HealthVials are not part of network for reducing charge but... these are collected in nearby combat...
Some playerstarts are almost in the middle of map... perhaps red player should spawn in Blue Base nearby Flag, LOL... for making a lousy game. Map has design, perhaps a more logic setup would be good... See this:
CTF-DeepFacility_rS1199.7z
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 176 times
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Thanks for those, I'll check them out.

I will also setup that good train map, the one with not much of any pathing, so you can check it out when I get a chance. Just to see it.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I was dropping an eye over that CTF-FIREBASES... whatever 64 fake players. PRI Array from Engine has 32 slots - until it requires another Engine...
I removed that "game" and "mutator" letting it as a plain CTF map.

Bad Points:
- certain pathnodes are borked without incoming connections - 66 could be removed because they were over-crowding paths nearby items - still charged and lacks in some areas at paths chapter;
- those vehicles - a Flag carrier "driving" vehicle was sitting in a corner all day long with Flag doing nothing until I destroyed and killed whatever was there a "humanhicle" or such;
- a BSP zone stuck me over one of those hills (I did not record location...).

I think it's a waste of time with those things...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I can't imagine you haven't seen this map before, but still... enjoy.
Attachments
DM-AF-Centralmetro-100.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
Shot0139.png
Shot0139.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 17094 times
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Enjoying after doing settings... LOL
CrushWhenEncroach and EncroachDamage 0 - yeah, crush Bots - in dreams... I'm not sure about that, and then... they are straight-line trains. Why would not have paths and just useless PathNodes ?
Design is not bad.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I've had that map a long time, bots do wind up on the tracks periodically... though usually only when "pushed".

It has 3 main stations: Yellow and Green on the far ends and there's a Red station near the middle on a separate set of tracks. It's running 4 tracks.

There's also some tunnels and a reactor, of sorts, in-between the stations. Kinda like an area janitorial might hang out.

I'm not entirely sure what the "AF" is for. I have 2 other maps that've got the same design as this one, though not trains, with AF. Only thing similar I've found is the prefix for the AirFight maps, but they're not related to these.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Oh well, it's... sick.
Map has a few PathNodes here and there but... there is no single reachSpec and no NavigationPointlist... here is place for a small DM session, but I'm not sure if whoever did it was knowing what to do. Navigation part of map is NONE.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:22 amI'm not sure if whoever did it was knowing what to do. Navigation part of map is NONE.
He that did this went by Action-Force© Studios, and he's got quite a few maps credited to him.

These · https://unrealarchive.org/search/index. ... %20Studios

CentralMetro is a 1999 map, so a very early work. It looks like he got better, mapping all the way into ut2004.
Skaarj need love too!