Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

Those Kickers with useless Triggers are not really suitable in this environment - I also tested what's up on 469b. It's way No Way. Here will be swJumpPads - not original version but version that will drop any "TeleporterFix" attached, as they don't need to be fixed by any lousy thing.

Edit: Ahem, look at this and let me know if I forgot something.
CTF-mystical_w00t_rS377.7z
(131.24 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Done ?
PS: It's a bit too fast for me...

Extra stuff: This is a version executed for various creatures - such as monsters (those capable to roam...).
CTF-mystical_w00t_rS377m.7z
(131.36 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Some facts related to this map.
I was playing as usual with a random weapon mod. Later I realized that Inventory assigned at players is getting vanished due to zoning factors. Game was logging Bots without weapons. I checked if things can be fixed/improved. Yes, map can go normal - really normal.
Here zoning is different and not affecting weaponry and certain paths coming from swJumpPads were removed as long as nobody can use them, swJumpPads are throwing Pawn in desired spot and not back to prior node, with other words these are ONE-Way paths in all the way.
CTF-Mystical_W00t_rS344.7z
(133.15 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Sorry for delays in response. Holiday stuff.

Will check these soon, thanks.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Random thought I just had · http://www.unrealfuzz.com/forums/viewto ... 5630#p5630

Thoughts?
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Idk, except my thoughts triggering people to hate instead of learning things you can crawl a bit through the map and inspecting it with tools. I won't nominate primary target tool MapGarbage, but MapChecker, PathsChecker and draw conclusions.
Okay, allow me to deliver extra-info. MapChecker might do some report concerning whatever are called "problems" - taken from other maps...

Code: Select all

ShockCore1 Need Move = 0.656555
With or without 0.656... is the same - such adjusting is irrelevant - stuff can be aligned at grid and it will collide pretty well doesn't matter 0.6 UU.
then

ScriptLog: Inventory with zero RespawnTime can be picked up only once:
ScriptLog: TrapSpringer0
TrapSpringer is not for being picked up - it has another purpose... so here is not needed any touching.
Then

ScriptLog: ZoneInfo with AmbientBrightness == 0:
Also a ton of stock maps are having this and... they were the most successful maps.
then

ScriptLog: Mover with bad moving time for net play:
ScriptLog: ElevatorMover2 MoveTime = 0.750000 != 0.751880
Useless fix, we are already using a generic fix aiming every single map - we don't fix things twice.
Next, a screenshot reported as 512 × 512 who needs to be 256 × 256 is not mandatory, there are maps having no issues with D3D and good looking screenshots.
Ignoring those alleged "problems", you can figure if other networking related issues need to be adjusted...

With regard to paths, PathsChecker will check logic links to items and generic actors that are gaming goals - such as FlagBases Controlpoints inventories. If there are reported problems, in the most of cases there will be problems, except maps that are polished with One-way paths on purpose (in MH maps this can be figured for preventing Bots to roam back), the rest of DM maps or CTF maps might be recommended to have logic links before doing any testing in run-time. This is how I deal with them - then I launch map on purpose to figure other gaming issues that are not seen in Editor.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Kind of jumping the gun here, as I'm waiting on permission still:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 5e065.html

Basic pathing, as it seems to have virtually none.

Be warned:
1. It's GINORMOUS!

2. There's an issue on the map I don't think you can fix, any players that manage to get high up (like higher than a building) and looks down tends to crash the map for some reason. Which isn't a huge issue as there's not many ways to get up that high.

Mostly only notice that in Spectator Mode.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Downloading... Let me check Engine response here before to do some pathing...

Edit: INDEED - it's a big one triggering me to wander about several things:
- What would be expected to be spectated/seen from the sky ? Is any game visible from there ? Any logic reason for such Z height ?
- For operating properly in UT'99 we have to stay inside 1000 Nodes - here I think are needed a lot and roaming for items in DM is not really expanded in Engine if I'm not mistaking.
- In order to minimize paths, original Devs are a no go right from the start. Goblin has no business here.
- XCv24 might deal with ranges up to 2000 but here range might be welcomed even more far - an external helper would be needed.
- However... if we want a bit of originality we can stick to uber-long paths using combos where is possible and adjusting some costs manually.
Let me think and check what's suitable.
Other solution would be creating Paths manually one by one - still need to stay inside boundaries.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:25 pmWhat would be expected to be spectated/seen from the sky ? Is any game visible from there ? Any logic reason for such Z height ?
Frequently when I'm checking a map out in spectator, and it's large, I go up and look down at an angle to see just how big it is.

So, I've been checking large maps for XV potential and this looks good... though obviously no helicopter action due to the up high looking down problem.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Te heh... XV... some map recently posted having a crap-ton of useless paths I managed to simplify it in max 2 hours. There is no longer any XV related stuff and 819 paths are working properly, there is no need for 15000+ paths and X junks not used anywhere... But... maybe that's just me making things not only operational normally in UT but simple as well.

Back to subject:
Here will be needed spreading network a lot because I'm almost at 40% Engine load and it's not like I have the same percent of map covered. I'm afraid that this environment is not very "Engine friendly"...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Continuing...
It looks like map has 203 potential goals that are... navigable so far...
ViCCity_stage1.PNG
ViCCity_stage1.PNG (191.12 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
Reported as follows:

ScanProcess: Total checks using DevPath = 2842.
Greetings: All 203 targets look reachable from every single PlayerStart.
But this doesn't means that all spots have direct access at Paths, and then it will be needed some completions, perhaps buildings won't be in account...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -