Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
evilgrins

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by evilgrins »

Why do I see strawberries and not apples?

That is weird, anytime the Warlords hit the water they die on my end but they never respawn.
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

That's irrelevant, strawberries was my desire in my CTFGame. I got tired of apples in times when I was pathing tens of maps, all was apples. When I started to dream apples I switched things 3-4 years ago. Map has apples, nothing else.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

This one:
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14844

I wrote a brief review there, enough to know the pathing isn't great... which Buggie confirmed as it isn't a high priority to him.

Checked the original mappers out, they left no contact info.

Have a look.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I did a small check playing some session.
I see a few quirks. Cannot shoot certain tentacles from a position (BSP bug ? I see HOMS here and there).
HR_0.png
HR_0.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2375 times
Whatever gravity or something in a tunnel makes movement in reverse impossible - I doubt to see Bots doing anything there for getting back.

I can add some paths for coverage but... it seems like it won't be too much compatible with full bot activity - plain Bot movement capability and knowledge won't help.

These to me are just UNR files, in a server managed by self person such a map won't be added.

I won't mention that his "Forts" are attacked by monsters in a XC_MonsterHunt session making monsters to complete objectives instead of hunters. I'm not going to rewrite my controller because someone else does adds to the map which are irrelevant for original MH assets.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Work In Progress...
- looking at various spots - narrow spots - Trooper Bot interested to gain some NaliFruit might not be able to get there and then adding forced paths won't help, by discarding these will make coverage impossible but... main routes can be used;
- trap zones (A.I. traps) to me are hilarious - Why are even needed ?
HR_1.png
HR_1.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2362 times
Here will be a BlockAll - BlockAll was used already elsewhere clearly demonstrating that map has geometry issues.
- tracking a logic order of objectives and adding support for shooting target-objectives;
- adding HuntNodes for preventing rushing map;

Reworking here "strategy" in using a MonsterEnd placed in void - this way it's No Way for me and my Bots.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

I wouldn't expect bots to be able to finish the map, but to be able to goto the basic areas throughout.

Just so they can provide better backup for actual humans players.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

This one requires a bit more time to investigate and testing, I'm somehow busy these days so I'm expecting to have more free time during week-end.
Certain paths needs to be redefined different as one-way not using combos and there are objectives to track by playing map directly - I need bPak stuff here or else it takes more time...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

No worries, no rush on that. As is it works okay but I haven't bopped anything off on you for awhile.

That and I've a bigger and more ambitious thing coming your way soon... when I get done with team coloring both sides of it.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

It seems that map has good paths - because Bots are able to finish it (depending on Monsters reactions - a KrallElite is hidden somewhere, counted) - there is needed coverage test with Trooper Bots because certain spots are narrow.
Map looks operational under 1700 reachSpecs (paths), I removed useless actors doing nothing and a hilarious FortStandardMH easy to NOT be touched as it should.

Certain areas I think are not suitable here - that was defenders area probably removed from access but zones are still there and Teleporters are closed later :?: .

I added other "fort" objectives and support for completing them, the rest of trigger type forts are now normal triggers - there is no reason to do the same thing with another actor. Probably map is now cleaned enough and... it might need more testing with normal weapons (I tested map multiple times using BPak stuff for preventing a lot of time wasted). Certain monsters might escape from hunting due to their placement out of sight :? . I don't get the point to do that...

Bots are not moving in attack before first explosion and paths are locked when enemy is available preventing them to run and gun all the time, rushing map. I added a few protections for Waypoints on purpose to prevent breaking attack, maybe here are needed extra completions... Perhaps are not needed ?
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Yep... not too many comments.
I think these "maps" are just buggers for testing whatever stuff more than aiming a decent and a solid server/game... these junks are gonna fly outta map:
- PathNodes into void;
- Lights into void;
- Multiple SkyZoneInfo actors exactly in the same location and similar "solution" for several lights.
I did not see original Assault map but this one to me it's not exactly an improved conversion in any way...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -