Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Show us and share your created maps.
Nelsona

Re: Map assessment and pathing enhancements

Post by Nelsona »

By the way, three "experts" were making years ago a map CTF-Deck16]|[ - a sort of mirroring with some adds.
Except a stupid load with nodes based on guessing, RedBase has the same messed up teleporter at bottom, one duplicated actor, and... definitely more combos could do things better but... not done... that's it, at least it can be X times improved because geometry has brushes and it supports a rebuild after cleaning 60+ useless lights left into void and going at 2000+ reachSpecs with quality paths. I'm not bother to ask them anything, for me trashing stock to get a new "map" it's not something for being credited, it's an UT junk and nothing more.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Onto our next lil' challenge...

Assess, but initial issues are these:
· Skaarj by the base eventually wander behind the base where they are useless.
· Skaarj by the boat often get in the water, swim under the ship, where they are useless.

I'd like you to path all 4 Skaarj, which may cause conflicts as the ones on the same team might use each other's pathing.

Ideally by the boat they'd pace their own end of the docks, back and forth. If they do get in the water they'd try and get back on the docks.

Ones by the base, either pace back and forth in front of the base, or actually pace inside the base.

Have fun!
Attachments
CTF-UTDMS-Invasion.zip
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Shot0002.png
Shot0002.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
Shot0001.png
Shot0001.png (752.46 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
Skaarj need love too!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Wait, wait, wait a little bit.
evilgrins wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:52 am I'd like you to path all 4 Skaarj, which may cause conflicts as the ones on the same team might use each other's pathing.
What if I say that a custom PathNode can discard a Paths Seeker which is not accepted based on Team Number - concerning ONLY MONSTERS ?
Of course, hunting enemy directly will discard pathing data but... roaming through forbidden areas will be denied by such nodes - of course they need a wise placement without shortcuts over them - exactly as BlockedPath. It won't block pawn but it will cause a limitation in crawling everywhere...

Edit Note: Give Me some time for figuring if DevPath does something here - reachSpecs data it's a total insanity in this stage...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Yup... Devs are somehow working but... preventing Pawns to be spread might be a problem. If paths are very restrictive are going to be gaps, if paths are too spread, they will be a charge with buggers and pawns are roaming a lot or looping... map needs also a controller because Bots in water are... plain dumb - if other species aren't used. Without a lot of paths there are so far 3760 reachSpecs and... I'm not done with testing. I think here last XC it's the savior but... filtering crazy XC paths are doable only in 227 as long as in 469 I don't have anything helpful... or I must wait version 599 and I have to do these as ghost post-mortem in next century.
I believe I have to save some data outside as T3D and getting into 227 but first I have to initialize patrols or else Skaarjs are going crazy wandering on fields and even dodging from bridge in the wild... making paths in area will cause Bots to mess with them which it's not good at all. This map doesn't look very suitable for Player-Monster but I'll think what would be needed.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:29 amWait, wait, wait a little bit.
I honestly wasn't sure, and keep in mind I sent that a little before I went to sleep so my head wasn't exactly firing on all pistons.

All pathing of UTDM-monsters you've done so far involved only 1 of them being on any given team, wasn't sure if having more than 1 on the same team would cause issues for that.
Nelsona wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:06 pm Yup... Devs are somehow working but... preventing Pawns to be spread might be a problem. If paths are very restrictive are going to be gaps, if paths are too spread, they will be a charge with buggers and pawns are roaming a lot or looping... map needs also a controller because Bots in water are... plain dumb - if other species aren't used. Without a lot of paths there are so far 3760 reachSpecs and... I'm not done with testing. I think here last XC it's the savior but... filtering crazy XC paths are doable only in 227 as long as in 469 I don't have anything helpful... or I must wait version 599 and I have to do these as ghost post-mortem in next century.
I believe I have to save some data outside as T3D and getting into 227 but first I have to initialize patrols or else Skaarjs are going crazy wandering on fields and even dodging from bridge in the wild... making paths in area will cause Bots to mess with them which it's not good at all. This map doesn't look very suitable for Player-Monster but I'll think what would be needed.
Yeah, definitely sounds like you're having fun!
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Then, perhaps it's time for a "guarding" simulation which means that I will add some HomeBase for both Skaarjs teams and... if they are afraid of attackers (I doubt about that) will attempt to fight aggressively around HomeBase or heading over there. I don't know if guarding will work as long as the Flag is a run-time actor not in map - it might be needed some extra scripting for that...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:27 pmI don't know if guarding will work as long as the Flag is a run-time actor not in map - it might be needed some extra scripting for that...
Guarding, per se, is never the exact goal with these things. Given they respond to attack those not on their team, usually just making sure they remain in or near an area where they can see invading enemies is enough.

Next project will be simpler, and very much something you keep attempting. Took me forever to find maps it would be possible on... but we can discuss that later.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

ScriptedPawn can hold orders - as already shown, "patrolling" being one of them it's working, I don't see why guarding would not work but I have to look well what is supposed to do pawn accordingly and if such an order is suitable here, perhaps doing/adding whatever actor nearby FlagBases and delegating Skaarjs to guard that thing...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:37 pmScriptedPawn can hold orders - as already shown, "patrolling" being one of them it's working, I don't see why guarding would not work
Hey, if it works, great! But I've got this nightmarish image of a Skaarj at a defense point watching the flag being taken away... while it just sits there.

I mean, what you're proposing, would it be the same as a bot at a defense point? Or switching to random defense points? I'm curious how this would play out.
Skaarj need love too!
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

It depends on stage, open areas are good for shooting, if pawn has bLeadTarget based on health and skill I would not count on getting closer and ignoring it.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -