Work arounds, hints, etc.

Show us and share your created maps.
Kelly

Re: Work arounds, hints, etc.

Post by Kelly »

I ran into this once <shudder>. My map had >64 zones and there is a hard limit of 63. If you try to do more than that the engine will start combining them randomly. That's why you see zones sharing the same number that aren't connected.

BTW Nels, I haven't forgotten you and testing UTBG. I've been sick but I'm still working on this every single day. It's almost in a shareable alpha form, I just need to run down some access nones and code cleanup.
I don’t wanna give the end away
but we’re gonna die one day
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

As an idea for some of these maps vs works around, I've done some revision to my MH2 controller... I'm thinking to completely quit using such things because... they are heading to a limited creativity. If I'm thinking about a more dynamic map and operating stuff for Bots these MH2 are making life harder than expected, these attached actors are just... lousy things and all these are happening just for making a HACK to work, all these attached non-original MH types for me are just primitive hacks, attempts to a supposed "better" MH and they have way too many problems to solve. MH-Miam was the first evidence of something way too poorly coded. Probably I will group all stuff in a single Multi-Server and then I can play any "monster-game" anytime without to switch anything, tweaking playable maps with NavAdder and everything will be nice (or closer). I'm not gonna run nothing like a "great mod" or other lousy packages, just stuff working properly and... maybe that tweaked Chaos as well - if it was originally credited by Epic ( screwing up Credits.utx for a messed up GARBAGE ) then I will let it be "da main fart" without trying to go into a rebel state against "creativity", even if Bot will NEVER use any GRAPPLE because that's a dumb shit for cheating against Bots by those which are only chickening when a skilled Bot is showing up...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
- Pablo Picasso -
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

You'll likely never get satisfied until MH becomes a stand-alone game in and of itself. That's certainly doable but would be a ton of work. Ultimately though everything we've done for years is hack and slash forcing things to work. Maybe over the summer we could talk about creating a stand-alone game for MH maps. Once you get things done the way you want it wouldn't be tough to code an import tool to convert maps to the new game, fixing the stupid issues as they get converted. In the end I think you are going to need to code some stuff in C to make it work.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

At this moment I have one single "issue" like toward ScriptedPawn generally not only in MonsterHunt.
That Z location and sometimes not only Z seems crapped. I don't know what was figuring there Higor or not in his XCGE, but I went to test and tweak things in order to see a map with 3000+ creatures (isolated in zones) working - not so smoother but... better than a crash... I did this "bunch-teaming" but there are the same left-over things which seems UNTOUCHED. I don't have a clue if this is a Render problem or a Replication problem. I think I have to setup a mutator or such able to react at some mutate command bound on a key on purpose to log both copies of the creature from server and client and thinking at any "option" to solve this stupidity. When monster is on Hill and you are in the Valley and monster comes down attacking, THAT location/direction is NEVER a straight line as it is when monster is climbing the hill. I don't know how much Did these tests EPIC and if they have ever figured this thing but I could see this happening in a lot of servers. In Coop, In MH, MMGame, everywhere when game has to deal with ScriptedPawn. Bot and Human player is more smoother at this point... or it's about some boolean having a different deal in natives (bStasis, bIsHuman,... lol). If it's about replication then I have to figure a simple solution for triggering client-update in order to prevent this sort of temporary dumb levitation over ground. MonsterShadow probably is not helpful because I set it in client where it belongs to...

Why I was sloping a bit with this problem ? I found some resources shared that can be used for mapping (thinking about importing some stuff), for sure things are not gonna be nice in such ramps, and maybe doing only straight cubes is not really the best ever mapping, game on Z axis for MH is not that nice all time...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

I'd bet money on replication. The update frequency is lower than the guided redeemer for example and look at the weirdness that goes on with it.
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

A bump here with an observation. Might be also a mapping in cause.

While Epic did replication (or supposed) replication and trying to save bandwidth net optimization still have tweaks for reducing Net load.
Let's take a look at... that popular TorchFlame and DMMutator which all default games are using...

Code: Select all

if ( Inv == None )
	{
		bSuperRelevant = 0;
		if ( Other.IsA('TorchFlame') )
			Other.NetUpdateFrequency = 0.5;
		return true;
	}
They have decreased update frequency in net games as long as it's not a need to update something intended to not move that much.

My turn now.
While I was trying something with TorchFlames in a map which I was editing to fix screwed up things from it, I was setting up "RemoteRole = ROLE_None", so to refrain Actor not updated but is a bNoDelete by default.
Here it is a sample of such TorchFlame used in Network play.
Net_Torches.jpg
Net_Torches.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
I don't get what's not right with them. As long as they are bNoDelete for sure they will be there... I think even bNetTemporary will not affect their existence.
In my opinion, once again speaking, these ideas about 100.000000 for every single actor can be more reduced without to encounter nothing evil. To mention that some lighting tweaks are more cute ON-Line than OFF-Line.
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Fix that HUD ammo counter. It's all I can look at ;)~
Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I'm guessing I had to use that one from MH2 (or said 3), there I had a better ammo counter, I could see even 10000 with no issues... my glitch...
UncodeX Stuff
Not often maintained
My UT Mapping works...
- Pablo Picasso -